- 230g currants
- 230g raisins
- 230g sultanas
- 115g mixed peel
- 85g almonds
- 2 tspns mixed spice
- ½ tspn ground ginger
- 230g plain flour
- 250 g butter
- 4 eggs
- 115g white sugar
- 115g brown sugar (115g)
- 200g dried breadcrumbs (200g)
- ½ tspn bicarb soda dissolved in
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 pudding cloth
- Sift flour, chop almonds in half, mix all dry ingredients except bicarb soda.
- Cream butter and sugars, add eggs and beat well.
- Add water with bicarb soda. Mix into dry ingredients.
- Prepare cloth by putting in boiling water, wringing it out and covering it with plain flour, spread with the hand.
- Place cloth over a bowl and fill with the mixture.
- Tie pudding tight in the cloth, leaving room for it to expand.
- If making this as one pudding, cook for about 6 hours. If making it as two, try about 4 hours.
- When cooked, drain and hang up to dry. Hang corners of cloth above pudding so the top dries.
- When reheating to eat, simmer in water for about 1 hour.
- If the pudding has not completely dried (i.e. if not made very long beforehand) it will need less time to reheat.
- When washing cloth after use, never use soapy water, just hot water.